Sunday, July 11, 2010

[Quicky] How to get your Huawei USB modem to work on Ubuntu 10.04

Back in January I exchanged my Huawei USB E1550 modem with that of a friend who works for one of the mobile operators here. Today I went back for mine since he had requested for his. To my surprise, my usb modem was being seen as a data storage instead of a modem on Kubuntu 10.04.

Here's is the work around I got after fidgeting and getting down to the CLI. Might come in handy for some of you.

If you are running anything later than Ubuntu 10.04, you'd need to install Udev-extras. 

sudo apt-get install udev-extras

That installs the udev-extras for older Ubuntu users. 

Then add a new rule in your /etc to tell your system to view the Huawei USB as a modem instead of a storage device.

gksu gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/15-huawei-e1550.rules

You might want to change "gedit" to Kate if you are running Kubuntu or to the name of your text editor.

In the text window that opens, just copy and paste the following argument

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",
SYSFS{idProduct}=="1446",
SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1",
RUN+="/lib/udev/modem-modeswitch --vendor 0x12d1 --product 0x1446 --type option-zerocd"

You might want to open a new terminal window and type in 
lsusb -v 
with your modem slotted to give you the values to input in the above argument in case your model is different from mine.

Click save after pasting the above in the text file. That's it. From here onwards, your system should see the Huawei USB as a modem instead of a storage device.

Edit
[Quicky] is a new term I'd be using to describe work arounds I discover in my day to day usage of Linux which I believe should help others in case they come across the same issues. Chronicling my findings and solutions is one of the ways I can contribute back to the community.

Sharing is Caring:
By Seeraj Muneer with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • Popular
  • Categories
  • Archives